象山同乡网

找回密码
 新用户注册
搜索

《老友记》每日E文精讲(含视频,更新中...)

[复制链接]
大海 发表于 2008-3-17 22:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
关于老友记
《老友记》,原文名《Friends》、又译作《六人行》,是美国NBC电视台从1994年开播、连续播出了10年的一部幽默情景喜剧。全剧共237集,每集大约20分钟左右。曾在1996年创下5,300万的收视记录。故事主要描述了住在纽约的六个好朋友从相识到后来一起经历了10年的生活中发生的一系列的故事,朋友间的生活、友谊、麻烦、欢笑、矛盾、爱情、工作等表现得淋漓尽致!
作为一部受到观众喜爱的情景喜剧,《老友记》的精彩并不仅仅来源于它对生活原生态的再现。虽然《老友记》自始至终严格地遵循着美国情景喜剧的基本规则:每集故事掀起的高潮都会在半小时的限定时间内归于平静。从制作上看,我们不仅找不到任何特别的地方,而且简直就可以用循规蹈矩、缺乏新意来形容它。但是,《老友记》并不是你想象中那样平庸乏味。只需看上一集,没有人能逃脱那些来自于异想天开的剧情、高潮迭起的故事和形形色色的客串明星的“致命诱惑”。尤其是那些轻松而诙谐的人物对白,蕴涵着一种独特的“美式”幽默,令人拍案叫绝。
《老友记》之所以受人欢迎,其一是因为它完全具备消费良品的素质,而更重要的是,在不断的笑声中,它让我们看到了另一种和我们一样普通的生活,形形色色的人因为情感、原则、利益、地位等问题产生矛盾、闹出笑话,同时,亲情、友情、爱情也在这里升华。《老友记》无形中成为人们日常生活的一面镜子,可以让我们学习生活,去欣赏生活中的那些真善美。
流行电视剧几乎都像一个小乌托邦,反映了现实,又游离于现实,在《老友记》里,六个人之间及各自的感情历程也牢牢地吸引着观众,表现着年轻人对于爱情的纯真态度。比如10年来,剧中最关键的一对——罗斯和瑞秋,他们的故事牵动着每一个观众的心,从罗斯最初怯于向暗恋十几年的瑞秋表白,到后来俩人热恋,分手,再复合,再分手……反反复复,吵吵闹闹……让年轻的观众们从中明白了一个道理,也许恨一个人往往比爱一个人更难。而钱德和莫妮卡的结合更是贴近了许多人平凡的生活,两个平凡的人历经挫折,终于找到了彼此,像是两个走在路上的小孩子,曾经摔跤、哭泣,后来终于懂得拉起对方的手,互相支持安慰着,一起走下去。
善待亲情 尊重亲人的决定
每个家庭都有各自的问题,六位主角的家庭也不例外,比如罗斯和莫妮卡的双亲严重偏心,对罗斯无比自豪,看莫妮卡怎么看怎么不顺眼。而菲比的生父离家出走,养母自杀,生母对她的遭遇毫不知情……而父母永远是父母,人自然而然地会爱自己的父母,六位主角当然也不例外。
我们从电视剧里可以学到对待父母的态度。首先,不要期待父母是完美的人。马克·吐温说,改善自己永远比纠正别人有效,而且安全。对父母过分的地方,不妨坦率说出来。像莫妮卡告诉自己的母亲,她对自己太苛刻;像钱德勒告诉自己的母亲,她的行为该像个长辈。
另外,父母的矛盾,不要勉强调和,应该尽量避免他们的冲突。比如第二季中瑞秋的生日那天,六个人为了避免瑞秋的父母碰面,不惜组织两个派对。
亲人之间,要尊重对方的决定,乔伊虽然看不过父亲、母亲和妹妹的行为,但最后还是无可奈何。亲情本来就是无奈的,你不能挑选自己的家人,必须接受他们,接受他们做跟自己平等的人。
珍惜友情 相互信任、宽容和支持
友情是很难建立很容易毁坏的东西,所有能破坏友情的事件,在六个人中间都发生过:钱德勒撬过乔伊的女朋友,还对乔伊的妹妹始乱终弃;乔伊和罗斯三次争女友;菲比和莫妮卡抢过女朋友,当年在街上“混”的时候还抢劫过上中学的罗斯。
他们都有很多毛病。罗斯经常向大家宣读天书一样的论文;钱德勒专门开刻薄玩笑;莫妮卡的洁癖和好胜常常让人无法忍受;瑞秋什么也不做而且什么也不会做,倒个垃圾都会哭哭啼啼地回来。还有,菲比唱歌超级难听,歌词更是专门煞风景,大家还必须捧场……
值得学习的是,剧中六位主角的友情之所以牢靠,并不止是剧情需要,还因为他们懂得朋友相处的最高原则:信任、宽容和支持。他们信任朋友对自己的感情,宽容朋友的缺点和错误,支持朋友走自己想走的路和做自己想做的事。
人生态度 乐观向上,无生活恶习
与N多年前在中国热播的《成长的烦恼》一样,《老友记》之所以成了年轻人的宠爱,最关键在于六位主人公始终保持的乐观向上的人生态度。
很多人都觉得剧中六个主人公的思想单纯,没有那么多坏心眼。六个人都有点滑稽,经常闹出点无伤大雅的乱子,说着俏皮话,但没有一个人很深地想过什么问题,也没有人在背后算计别人。剧中绝大多数笑料都是这六个人偶尔暴露出的一些无知和夸张的表演。
另外,六个人在生活中可以说都没有什么恶习,偶尔喝点酒也是为了制造情调,而且六个人总是互相支持。也许他们为一点小事情吵架争执,可最后总是拥抱一下,含着眼泪说“我爱你”,或者说“我爱你们大家”。有时候你会觉得,这六个人可爱得完全有资格当选最优秀的公民。
学习英语 可作为学习美语的好教材
除了以上说的这些以外,《老友记》甚至还可以在提高英语水平方面对我们有所帮助。据说,在中国最早推行这部电视剧的是一些私立性质的英语学校,因为《老友记》几位演员原汁原味的美式发音以及生活化的对白可以成为学习美语的最好教材。在上海的一所高中里,由于曾用《老友记》的剧本作为学校英语教学的口语教材,使得学生们又重新爱上了英语课。在一些高校,大学生们也开始风行用《老友记》来练习美国口语。

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-20 19:14 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 22:56 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之一)

xin_53090318140687863089.jpg 主持人:郑涛。毕业于国际关系学院英国文学专业;北京紫铭学校托福写作讲师;英国纽卡斯尔大学访问学者;翻译《歌德文集》、《我最亲爱的洛  蒂》等著作300多万字;长期把英美电影当作英语学习材料,在此方面很有研究。

Monica: C'mon, you can't live off your parents your whole life.
Rachel: I know that. That's why I was getting married.
Phoebe: Give her a break, it's hard being on your own for the first time.
Rachel: Thank you.
Phoebe: You're welcome. I remember when I first came to this city. I was fourteen. My mom had just killed herself and my step-dad was back in prison, and I got here, and I didn't know anybody. And I ended up living with this albino guy who was, like, cleaning windshields outside port authority, and then he killed himself, and then I found aromatherapy. So believe me, I know exactly how you feel.
Ross: The word you're looking for is 'Anyway'...
Monica: You ready?
Rachel: I don't think so.
Ross: C'mon, cut. Cut, cut, cut...
All: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut...
All: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut...
Monica: Welcome to the real world! It sucks. You're gonna love it!
Monica: Well, that's it. You gonna crash on the couch?
Ross: No. No, I gotta go home sometime.
Monica: You be okay?
Ross: Yeah.
Rachel: Hey Mon, look what I just found on the floor. What?
Monica: That's Paul's watch. You just put it back where you found it. Oh boy. Alright. Goodnight, everybody.
Ross: Mmm. Oh, no...
Rachel: Sorry...
Ross: No no no, go...
Rachel: No, you have it, really, I don't want it...
Ross: Split it?
Rachel: Okay.
Ross: Okay. You know you probably didn't know this, but back in high school, I had a, um, major crush on you.
Rachel: I knew.
Ross: You did! Oh... I always figured you just thought I was Monica's geeky older brother.
Rachel: I did.
Ross: Oh. Listen, do you think... and try not to let my intense vulnerability become any kind of a factor here... but do you think it would be okay if I asked you out? Sometime? Maybe?
Rachel: Yeah, maybe...
Ross: Okay... okay, maybe I will...
Rachel: Goodnight.
Ross: Goodnight.

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. give somebody a break
意思是“给某人一个机会/一次优待”。例如:I have to ask the teacher to give me a break, or else I'll certainly fail the exam. 我得求老师放我一马,不然考试我肯定得挂。美国口语中常用的 Give me a break! 意思是“(表示不相信别人胡诌)得了吧!饶了我吧!”电影中的 Give her a break, it's hard being on your own for the first time. 意思是“别逼她了,第一次独立生活是很难的。”

2. suck
意思是“令人失望、不愉快或讨厌。”例如:Being alone sucks! I've got to find a girlfriend in a minute. 单身真郁闷!我得马上找一个女朋友。电影中的 Welcome to the real world! It sucks. You're gonna love it! 意思是“欢迎来到现实世界!它很逊!但是你会喜欢它的!"

3. have a crush on somebody
意思是“暗恋某人。” 例如:I have a crush on the new girl and cannot concentrate in class. 我喜欢上了新来的女孩,连上课都不能集中注意力。电影中的 you probably didn't know this, but back in high school, I had a, um, major crush on you. 意思是“你也许不知道,但是高中的时候我,呃,狂热地暗恋你。”

4. geeky
意思是“反常的、变态的”。例如:You've gone to academic lectures just for fun?How geeky you are! 去听学术讲座是为了好玩?你还真是变态!口语中常用名词形式 geek,例如:What a geek! 意思是“真是个怪胎!” 电影中的 I always figured you just thought I was Monica's geeky older brother. 意思是“我一直以为你只是把我当作莫尼卡的变态哥哥。”

5. ask someone out
意思是“请求与某人约会。”例如:I had been tortured by my secret likeness for her for so long. I finally gathered myself up and asked her out. 我对她心仪已久,备受煎熬,终于鼓起勇气和她约会了。电影中的 do you think it would be okay if I asked you out? 意思是“如果那时候我和你约会,你会同意吗?”

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1.虽然是我提出分手,但内心深处还是希望给我们的爱一次机会。
2.这个足球队真逊!
3.你暗恋过你最好朋友的情人吗?
4.如果想和她约会,首先不要怕被拒绝。

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-19 21:23 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 22:59 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之二)

Mrs. Geller: Oh, Martha Ludwin's daughter is gonna call you. Mmm! What's that curry taste?
Monica: Curry.
Mrs. Geller: Mmmm!
Ross: I- I think they're great! I, I really do.
Mr. Geller: Do you remember the Ludwins? The big one had a thing for you, didn't she?
Mrs. Geller: They all had a thing for him.
Ross: Aw, Mom...
Monica: I'm sorry, why is this girl going to call me?
Mrs. Geller: Oh, she just graduated, and she wants to be something in cooking, or food, or... I don't know. Anyway, I told her you had a restaurant.
Monica: No Mom, I don't have a restaurant, I work in a restaurant.
Mrs. Geller: Well, they don't have to know that.
Monica: Ross, could you come and help me with the spaghetti, please?
Ross: Yeah.
Mrs. Geller: Oh, we're having spaghetti! That's... easy.
Monica: I know this is going to sound unbelievably selfish on my part, but, were you planning on bringing up the whole baby, lesbian thing? Because I think it might take some of the heat off me.
Mrs. Geller: What that Rachel did to her life... We ran into her parents at the club, they were not playing very well.
Mr. Geller: I'm not gonna tell you what they spent on that wedding... but forty thousand dollars is a lot of money!
Mrs. Geller: Well, at least she had the chance to leave a man at the altar...
Monica: What's that supposed to mean?
Mrs. Geller: Nothing! It's an expression.
Monica: No it's not.
Mr. Geller: Don't listen to your mother. You're independent, and you always have been! Even when you were a kid... and you were chubby, and you had no friends, you were just fine! And you would read alone in your room, and your puzzles...
Mr. Geller: Look, there are people like Ross who need to shoot for the stars, with his museum, and his papers getting published. Other people are satisfied with staying where they are - I'm telling you, these are the people who never get cancer.
Mr. Geller: ...And I read about these women trying to have it all, and I thank God "Our Little Harmonica" doesn't seem to have that problem.
Monica: So, Ross, what's going on with you? Any stories? No news, no little anecdotes to share with the folks?
Ross: Okay! Okay. Look, I, uh... I realize you guys have been wondering what exactly happened between Carol and me, and, so, well, here's the deal. Carol's a lesbian. She's living with a woman named Susan. She's pregnant with my child, and she and Susan are going to raise the baby.
Mrs. Geller: And you knew about this?!

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. have a thing for
意思是“喜欢……,对……有意思。”例如:I have a thing for wide belts for jean trousers. 我很喜欢配牛仔裤的宽腰带。电影中的 The big one had a thing for you, didn't she? 意思是“(那家的)大小姐对你有意思,不是吗?”

2. bring up
意思是“提起,提出。”例如:She has just lost her job. Maybe it is not the right time to bring up the bad news. 她刚丢了工作。现在提这个坏消息恐怕不是时候。电影中的Were you planning on bringing up the whole baby, lesbian thing?意思是“你打算过提起小孩和同性恋的那一挡子事吗?”

3. take the heat off someone
意思是“解……燃眉之急。”例如:The rise of the oil price took the heat off many Middle Eastern countries. 石油价格的上涨使许多中东国家松了一口气。电影中的Because I think it might take some of the heat off me. 意思是“因为我认为那样会让我喘口气。”

4. It's an expression.
意思是“只是说说而已。”用在不经意讲错话而对方较真的时候表示修正。例如:
-I bet you can't beat me.
-Ok, a thousand dollars a game.
-Come on, it's just an expression.
--我打赌你赢不了我。
--好,一千美元一局。
--算了吧,我就随便说说而已。

5. shoot for the stars
意思是“有远大抱负,干大事。”例如:When it comes to pursuing professional goals, Miss Brown likes to shoot for the stars, which is why she became an intern at the White House. 在事业方面,布朗小姐是有远大抱负的人,这也是她为什么在白宫实习的原因。电影中的There are people like Ross who need to shoot for the stars, with his museum, and his papers getting published.意思是“有些人需要干大事,比如罗斯,在博物馆工作,还发表了文章。”

文化面面观
美国人结婚的花费
Who pays for what nowadays is a common question. Traditionally in the past the bride's family has paid for the entire wedding and reception, with the knowledge and understanding that the wedding ought to be kept within their family budget. This practice is still followed today. On the other hand, it is also not unusual nowadays, for the groom's family to sometimes offer to help share some of the expenses, if they wish, such as the cost of flowers, liquor or music. This offer may be accepted or, if the bride's family prefers to have a simpler, affordable wedding within their limited budget, it is their privilege to kindly reject the offer.
In addition to the above examples, more and more couples today tend to plan and save to pay entirely for the cost of their own wedding. In this case the wedding invitations are sent out in their own names, unless, as in some circumstances, they wish to give their parents the courtesy of issuing the invitation.
The groom and his family are responsible for the following expenses: The bride's engagement and wedding ring, his wedding attire, his doctor's visit and blood test, the marriage license, the clergyman's fee or donation, gifts for the best man and ushers, boutonnieres for the groom and ushers and sometimes the bridal bouquet, going away corsage, etc., unless the bride chooses to include them in her florist's order. Whether to give a bachelor dinner is optional. A rehearsal dinner is customary. Honeymoon expenses, if planned.
Bridesmaid's expenses include: Purchase of bridesmaid's dresses, shoes and all accessories, transportation to and from the location of the wedding, an individual gift to the couple, a shower, luncheon for the bride, or a co-ed party may be shared.
Guest's expenses include: The groom's parents pay for their own transportation and lodgings as do out-of-town guests. Parents of the bride and groom may help in securing accommodations for the bridesmaids and ushers in the home of friends, or they may offer to pay any expenses they may care to assume.
在美国,传统上婚礼和招待的费用由新娘父母负责。新郎父母可能会向亲家提出分担一些,但是有时候会被拒绝。现在一些新婚夫妇选择自己负责婚礼费用,但很多时候还是会以父母的名义发请贴。新郎父母的支出包括给新娘的戒指以及新郎的一应花费。在美国伴娘和客人的费用一般由自己负担,有时候新婚夫妇的父母也会帮助解决。在正式的婚礼前一般会有彩排宴会。本选段中提到Rachel的父母为她的婚礼花费了4万美元指的就是上述习俗。

思想火花
本段中Monica的父母偏心,对她处处看不顺眼,而对她的哥哥Ross却是百般袒护和疼爱。如何面对这样的父母是个难题。中国人传统上对父母比较孝顺,在这种情况下往往忍气吞声。而Monica却用自己的努力改变了父母对自己的偏见,可见美国个人主义价值观在确立自身价值和赢得尊重方面的重要作用。

考考你
1. 她现在还小,别跟她提嫁人的事。
2. A: 你说什么?我是二百五?
   B: 别急,只是随口说说而已。
3. 他对她落花有意,她对他却是流水无情。
4. 他们家就指望着他出息了。

《老友记》1(精讲之一)考考你 参考答案
1.虽然是我提出分手,但内心深处还是希望给我们的爱一次机会。
Though it was me who asked to break up, deep down I wanted to give our love a break.
2.这个足球队真逊!
This football team sucks!
3.你暗恋过你最好的朋友的情人吗?
Have you ever had a crush on your best friend's sweetie?
4.如果想和她约会,首先不要怕被拒绝。
If you want to ask her out, the first thing to do is not to worry about rejection.

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:09 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 23:00 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之三)

Chandler: Ooh, Lambchop. How old is that sock? If I had a sock on my hand for thirty years it'd be talking too.
Ross: Okay. I think it's time to change somebody's nicotine patch.
Monica: Hey. Where's Joey?
Chandler: Joey ate my last stick of gum, so I killed him. Do you think that was wrong?
Rachel: I think he's across the hall.
Monica: Thanks.
Ross: There y'go.
Chandler: Ooh, I'm alive with pleasure now.
Ross: Hey Pheebs, you gonna have the rest of that Pop-Tart? Pheebs?
Phoebe: Does anyone want the rest of this Pop-Tart?
Ross: Hey, I might!
Phoebe: Sorry. Y'know, those stupid soda people gave me seven thousand dollars for the thumb.
All: You're kidding. Oh my God.
Phoebe: And on my way over here, I stepped in gum. What is up with the universe?!
Joey: What's going on?
Monica: Nothing. I just think it's nice when we're all here together.
Joey: Even nicer when everyone gets to wear their underwear...
Rachel: Uh, Joey...
Joey: Oh, God!
Monica: Okay...
All: Oh! That was Lambchop!
Monica: Please, guys, we have to talk.
Phoebe: Wait, wait, I'm getting a déjà vu...no, I'm not.
Monica: Alright, we have to talk.
Phoebe: There it is!
Monica: Okay. It's-it's about Alan. There's something you should know. I mean, there's really no easy way to say this... uh... I've decided to break up with Alan.
Ross: Is there somebody else?
Monica: No, nononono... it's just... y'know, things change. People change.
Rachel: We didn't change...
Joey: So that's it? It's over? Just like that?
Phoebe: You know... you let your guard down, you start to really care about someone, and I just --- I---
Monica: Look, I --- I can go on pretending-
Joey: Okay!
Monica: No, but that wouldn't be fair to me, it wouldn't be fair to Alan- It wouldn't be fair to you!
Ross: Who---who wants fair? Y'know, I just want things back. Y'know, the way they were.
Monica: I'm sorry.
Chandler: Oh, she's sorry! I feel better!

4. break up
意思是“(与某人)分手”。例如:Break up peacefully if you're ready to end a relationship.如果你决定要结束一段感情,安静的分手吧。电影中的I've decided to break up with Alan.意思是“我已经决定和艾伦分手”。

5. let one's guard down
意思是“放松警惕,撤消防线”。例如:Once I completely let my guard down with someone and let him get close to me I scared myself a little.有一次我对一个人完全放松了防备,让他靠近我,但我还是有点害怕。电影中的You know... you let your guard down, you start to really care about someone... 意思是“你知道……你撤消了防线,开始真正关心某个人……”

6. come up
意思是“接近,靠近”。例如:With the final exam coming up in a week, I don't really have time to flirt with. 还有一周就期末考试,我真的没时间瞎混了。电影中的I mean, with the holidays coming up, I wanted him to meet my family. 意思是“我的意思是,节日快到了,我还想带他去我家呢”。

文化面面观
Passive/second hand smoking! 被动吸烟(吸二手烟)
Only 15% of smoke from a cigarette is inhaled by the smoker. The other 85% goes directly into the air and is known as second hand smoke. Second hand smoke is a combination of: mainstream smoke, which is the smoke inhaled and then breathed out and sidestream smoke, which is the smoke coming from the cigarette between puffs.
Sidestream smoke has more tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide and other chemicals that cause cancer than the smoke inhaled through the cigarette itself! All second-hand smoke contains cancer-causing chemicals! Passive smoking is the breathing in of the second-hand smoke produced by other people's cigarettes.
In the short-term, exposure to passive smoke leads to immediate problems such as irritation of the nose, eyes or throat, coughs, nausea, dizziness and headaches. Every year in the U.K 17,000 children under five years of age are admitted to hospitals because of illnesses related to passive smoking. The risk of cot death is greatly increased in children who have been exposed to smoke either during pregnancy, or at home if one or both parents smoke.
In the long term, consequences are much more serious --- passive smoking contributes to the development of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke. And, as they grow older children are almost 3 times more likely to start smoking if their parents do.
Everyone at times is a passive smoker, and passive smoking is not just an annoyance, it's a health risk! So the next time one of your friends lights up in front of you, fire off these facts: Secondhand smoke can produce six times the pollution of a busy motorway when in a crowded room, kills about 3,000 nonsmokers each year from lung cancer, causes wheezing, coughing, colds, earaches and asthma attacks, fills the air with many of the same poisons found in the air around toxic waste dumps, and makes clothes and hair stink.
本选段中的Chandler是个烟鬼,正如他的扮演者Matthew Perry一样。美国的烟民比例和中国不相上下,但是吸烟,尤其是二手烟,对人体健康有很大的危害。在美国,吸烟不再是个人的行为,而是社会公德的问题。美国在很多公共场所都有严格的禁止吸烟的规定,而且被认为是基本文明的组成部分。近期包括福特汽车公司在内的一系列大型企业都规定禁止在办公室吸烟

Rachel: I just can't believe this! I mean, with the holidays coming up, I wanted him to meet my family.
Monica: I'll meet somone else. There'll be other Alans.
All: Oh, yeah! Right!
Monica: Are you guys gonna be okay?
Ross: Hey hey, we'll be fine. We're just gonna need a little time.
Monica: I understand.
Alan: Wow.
Monica: I'm really sorry.
Alan: Yeah, I'm sorry too. But, I gotta tell you, I am a little relieved.
Monica: Relieved?
Alan: Yeah, well, I had a great time with you. I just can't stand your friends.

妙词佳句,活学活用
1. What is up with somebody
意思是“发生了什么事”。例如:What is up with her? She doesn't seem so upbeat. 她这是怎么了?看上去不太开心。What is up还可以单独用,如What's up, man? 意思是“伙计,怎么了(什么事)?”电影中的What is up with the universe?!意思是“这个世界到底怎么了?!”

2. get to
意思是“能够/有机会作什么”。例如:The job of a tour guide is so fantastic. The money is good, and you get to know all kinds of people.当导游太爽了。钱挣得多,还可以认识各种各样的人。电影中的 Even nicer when everyone gets to wear their underwear.意思是“要是能让人把内衣穿上就更好了(Joey在这里指的是刚洗完澡就被莫尼卡拽走了)。”

3. déjà vu
原本是法语,现已经成为了英语词汇。意思是“似曾相识的感觉或事物”。例如:France enters the final hoping for a little deja vu of its own. 法国进入了决赛,希望来点似曾相识的际遇(指像4年前一样赢得世界杯冠军)。电影中的I'm getting a deja vu.意思是“我有种似曾相识的感觉”。

思想火花
西方社会体制是建立在诚信(good faith)制度之上的,英、美、德等国家更是典型的诚信国家。如果有人恶意撒谎而被发现,他将被社会所唾弃,在经济,法律,社会等各方面都无立足之地。典型的例子有德国的一个博士毕业后发现自己什么工作都找不到,后来才被告知自己在几年前乘坐公共汽车逃票被记录在案;在英国,如果有人乘坐地铁逃票被查出,他的名字将被公示在所有的地铁站。同样在英国,如果一个人曾经恶意撒谎,那么无论他是否有理,在法庭上肯定败诉,因为他的一切证言都会被视为谎言。本选段中Phoebe买的饮料中有一个拇指,结果饮料公司主动赔偿了7000美元。相比而言,中国的诚信在很大程度上还只属于道德的范畴。尤其是在中国劳资关系处于买方市场的今天,很多黑心的企业制造假冒伪劣产品,欺压自己的员工,种种行径令人愤恨。

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 在餐厅打工怎么了?工资是不怎么的,但是有机会认识美眉啊!
2. 你都快30了,怎么还没有正经谈过恋爱?
3. 人家女的对他都不设防了,他为什么还没有动静?
4. 只要你幸福,我宁愿退到好朋友的位置。

《老友记》1(精讲之二)考考你 参考答案
1. 她现在还小,别跟她提嫁人的事。
   She is still young; don't bring up marriage to her.
2. A: 你说什么?我是二百五?
   What? Did you call me a stupid moron?
   B: 别急,只是随口说说而已。
   Easy, it's just an expression.
3. 他对她落花有意,她对他却是流水无情。
   He has a thing for her, while she doesn't.
4. 他们家就指望着他出息了。
   He is the one to shoot for the stars in his family.

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:11 编辑 ]
空子 发表于 2008-3-17 23:03 | 显示全部楼层
好好收藏,好好学习!
感谢大海提供了如此好帖!
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 23:08 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之四)

Chandler: So, Saturday night, the big night, date night, Saturday night, Sat-ur-day night!
Joey: No plans, huh?
Chandler: Not a one.
Ross: Not even, say, breaking up with Janice?
Chandler: Oh, right, right, shut up.
Monica: Chandler, nobody likes breaking up with someone. You just gotta do it.
Chandler: No, I know, but it's just so hard, you know? I mean, you're sitting there with her, she has no idea what's happening, and then you finally get up the courage to do it, and there's the horrible awkward moment when you've handed her the note.
Joey: Why do you have to break up with her? Be a man, just stop calling.
Phoebe: You know, if you want, I'll do it with you.
Chandler: Oh, thanks, but I think she'd feel like we're gangin' up on her .
Phoebe: No, I mean you break up with Janice and I'll break up with Tony.
Ross: Tony?
Monica: Oh, you're breaking up with Tony?
Phoebe: Yeah, I know, he's sweet, but it's just not fun anymore, you know? I don't know if it's me, or his hunger strike, or, I don't know.
Rachel: Does anybody want anything else?
Ross: Oh, yeah, last week you had a wonderful, nutty, chocolatey kind of a cakey pie thing. Nothing, just, just, I'm fine.
Phoebe: What's the matter? Why so scrunchy?
Rachel: It's my father. He wants to give me a Mercedes convertible.
Ross: That guy, he burns me up .
Rachel: Yeah, well, it's a Mercedes if I move back home. Oh, it was horrible. He called me young lady.
Chandler: Ooh, I hate when my father calls me that.
Monica: Did he give you that whole "You're-not-up-to-this" thing again?
Rachel: Oh, yeah, yeah. Actually, I got the extended disco version, with three choruses of "You'll never make it on your own".
Phoebe: Uh-huh, uh-huh.
Angela: Hi, Joey.
Joey: My god, Angela.
Monica: Wow, being dumped by you obviously agrees with her.
Phoebe: Are you gonna go over there?
Joey: No, yeah, no, ok, but not yet. I don't wanna seem too eager. One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi. That seems pretty cool. Hey, Angela.
Angela: Joey.
Joey: You look good.
Angela: That's because I'm wearing a dress that accents my boobs.
Joey: You don't say.
Ross: So, uh, Rachel, what are you, uh, what're you doing tonight?
Rachel: Oh, big glamour night. Me and Monica at Laundorama.
Ross: Oh, you uh, you wanna hear a freaky coincidence? Guess who's doing laundry there too?
Rachel: Who?
Ross: Me. Was that not clear? Hey, why don't, um, why don't I just join you both, there?
Rachel: Don't you have a laundry room in your building?
Ross: Yes, I do have a laundry room in my building, um, but there's a... rat problem. Apparently they're attracted to the dryer sheets, and they're goin' in fine, but they're comin' out all... fluffy. Anyway, say, sevenish?
Rachel: Sure.

妙词佳句,活学或用

1. get up the courage
意思是“鼓起勇气”。例如:If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. 如果你有勇气开始,就有勇气成功。电影中的 And then you finally get up the courage to do it, and there's the horrible awkward moment when you've handed her the note. 意思是“而你最终鼓足勇气做了,在递给她字条之后,又会碰到可怕的尴尬场面”。

2. ganging up on someone
意思是“合伙欺负人”。例如:Are Europe and Russia ganging up on America over Iran? 在伊朗问题上,欧洲和俄罗斯有联合对付美国吗?电影中的 I think she'd feel like we're gangin' up on her. 意思是“我想她会认为我们在合伙欺负她”。

3. burn someone up
意思是“使某人大怒”。例如:The news that some beautiful girl dates someone burns me up. 我一听哪个漂亮姑娘跟人搞对象就上火。电影中的 That guy, he burns me up. 意思是“那家伙,他真让我来气”。

4. make it
意思是“成功”。例如:I made it. My book sold a million copies. 我做到了。我的书卖了一百万册。电影中的 You'll never make it on your own.意思是“你永远都不可能独立生活”。

5. agree with
意思是“适合,适宜”。例如:The climate here doesn't agree with me. 这里的气候不适合我。电影中的 Wow, being dumped by you obviously agrees with her. 意思是“哇,对她来说被你甩显然是件好事”。

6. You don't say.
意思是“不会这样吧!不至于吧!真的吗?(表示心里同意对方所说的话,但是嘴上不服。)”例如:-The biology professor is too harsh on us. - You don't say. -生物学教授对我们太狠了。-不是吧。电影中的-That's because I'm wearing a dress that accents my boobs. -You don't say.意思是“-那是因为我穿了一件突出胸部的衣服。-不会吧。”

文化面面观
1. The Mississippi River 密西西比河
The Mississippi River is one of the world's major river systems in size, habitat diversity, and biological productivity. It is the longest and largest river in North America, flowing 3,705 kilometers from its source at Lake Itasca in the Minnesota North Woods, through the mid-continental United States, the Gulf of Mexico Coastal Plain, and its subtropical Louisiana Delta. "Mississippi" is an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian word meaning great river or gathering of waters---an appropriate name because the river basin, or watershed, extends from the Allegheny Mountains in the eastern United States to the Rocky Mountains, including all or parts of 31 states and 2 Canadian provinces. The river basin measures 4.76 million square kilometers, covering about 40% of the United States and about one-eighth of North America. Of the world's rivers, the Mississippi ranks third in length, second in watershed area, and fifth in average discharge.

2. One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi.
这是美国人在童年时候的就已经学到的一种数秒的方法,因为读Mississippi这个单词刚好大约需要一秒钟时间。雨天的时候孩子们看到闪电,父母和老师便让他们用这种方法开始数秒,等雷声响起的时候孩子们就可以根据数到的秒数来计算闪电发生的地方距离自己有多远了(声音的速度大约是每秒0.2英里)。为什么不用其他的单词而一定要用Mississippi呢?这是因为Mississippi这个词是小孩学习拼写时最开始遇到的比较复杂的单词之一。人们用的多了,便成为一个沿用下来的说法。当然,还有其他类似的说法,例如,one steam boat, two steam boat, three steam boat,也可以说 Mississippi One, Mississippi two, Mississippi three。

思想火花
由于收入下降和教育水平等问题,美国35-39岁不结婚的男性达22%。很多人害怕责任而选择同居,甚至认为单身是一种生活状态。结果就出现本选段中Chandler所说的“Saturday night, date night,”即星期六晚上是约会之夜。在当今离婚率高、变化快的社会,单身也许是一种趋势。

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 很多时候,成功与否取决于你是否能鼓足勇气去战胜恐惧。
2. 被那个烂老板炒鱿鱼对她也许不是什么坏事。
3. 我相信你。你能行。
4. 那个忘恩负义的家伙让我满腔怒火。

《老友记》1(精讲之三)考考你 参考答案
1. 在餐厅打工怎么了?工资是不怎么的,但是有机会认识美眉啊!
What is wrong with getting a part-time job at the canteen? The money is not so good, but you get to know all those beautiful chicks!
2. 你都快30了,怎么还没有正经谈过恋爱?
With your 30th birthday coming up, how have you not been in any real relationship?
3. 人家女的对他都不设防了,他为什么还没有动静?
Why hasn't he made any move even when the girl let her guard down?
4. 只要你幸福,我宁愿退到好朋友的位置。
If only you could be happy, I would rather break up with you and remain your friend.

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:14 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 23:19 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之五)

Rachel: Tah-daaah!
Chandler: Are we greeting each other this way now? Because I like that.
Rachel: Look! I cleaned! I did the windows, I did the floors... I even used all the attachments on the vacuum, except that little round one with the bristles, I don't know what that's for.
Ross: Oh yeah, nobody knows. And we're not supposed to ask.
Rachel: Well, whaddya think?
All: Very clean! It looks great! Terrific!
Monica: Oh! I-I see you moved the green ottoman.
All: Uh-oh...
Monica: How-how did that happen?
Rachel: I dunno. I-I thought it looked better there. And I- and also, it's an extra seat around the coffee table.
Monica: Yeah, yeah, it's interesting... but y'know what? Just for fun, let's see what it looked like in the old spot. Alright, just to compare. Let's see. Well, it looks good there too. Let's just leave it there for a while.
Phoebe: I can't believe you tried to move the green ottoman.
Chandler: Thank God you didn't try to fan out the magazines. I mean, she'll scratch your eyes right out.
Monica: You guys, I am not that bad!
Phoebe: Yeah, you are, Monica. Remember when I lived with you? You were like, a little, y'know, Ree! Ree! Ree! Ree!
Monica: That is so unfair!
Ross: Oh c'mon! When we were kids, yours was the only Raggedy Ann doll that wasn't raggedy!
Monica: Okay, so I'm responsible, I'm organised. But hey, I can be a kook .
Ross: Alright, you madcap gal. Try to imagine this. The phone bill arrives, but you don't pay it right away.
Monica: Why not?
Ross: Because you're a kook! Instead you wait until they send you a notice.
Monica: I could do that.
Rachel: Okay, ok, uh, then you let me go grocery shopping, and I buy laundry detergent, but it's not the one with the easy-pour spout.
Monica: Why would someone do that?! One might wonder.
Chandler: Someone's left a glass on the coffee table. There's no coaster. It's a cold drink, it's a hot day. Little beads of condensation are inching their way closer and closer to the surface of the wood...
Monica: STOP IT!! Oh my God. It's true! Who am I?
Ross: Monica? You're Mom.
Monica: Oh!
Phoebe: Ree! Ree! Ree! Ree! Ree!
Joey: Uh huh... oh my God! Okay! Okay, I'll be there! That was my agent. My agent has just gotten me a job... in the new Al Pacino movie!
All: Oh my God! Whoah!
Monica: Well, what's the part?
Joey: Can you believe this? Al Pacino! This guy's the reason I became an actor! "I'm out of order ? Pfeeeh. You're out of order! This whole courtroom's out of order!"
Phoebe: Seriously, what-what's the part?
Joey: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in !
Ross: C'mon, seriously, Joey, what's the part?
Joey: Huh... I'm his...
Rachel: You're, you're 'mah mah mah' what?
Joey: I'm his butt double. Kay? I play Al Pacino's butt. Alright? He goes into the shower, and then- I'm his butt.
Monica: Oh my God.
Joey: C'mon, you guys. This is a real movie, and Al Pacino's in it, and that's big!
Chandler: Oh no, it's terrific, it's... it's... y'know, you deserve this, after all your years of struggling, you've finally been able to crack your way into show business.
Joey: Okay, okay, fine! Make jokes, I don't care! This is a big break for me!
Ross: You're right, you're right, it is. So you gonna invite us all to the big opening?

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. be supposed to
意思是“应该”。例如:How am I supposed to live without you? 没有你我该怎么活?电影中的 And we're not supposed to ask. 意思是“而且我们不应该问”。

2. fan out
意思是“把……展成扇形,把……错乱摆放”。例如:She overheard her mother cry over some love letters fanned out on the table. 她偷听到母亲对着桌上的一堆旧情书哭。电影中的 Thank God you didn't try to fan out the magazines. 意思是“谢天谢地你没有打算把杂志都翻出来。”

3. kook
意思是“怪人,怪僻的”。例如:If he weren't such a kook, he would have won her over. 如果他不那么古怪的话,他早赢得她的芳心了。电影中的 Okay, so I'm responsible, I'm organised. But hey, I can be a kook. 意思是“对,我就是有责任感,我就是爱整洁。但是,咳,我也可以是个邋遢怪。”

4. out of order
意思是“失控,次序混乱,违反会议规程”。例如:Since you were elected president of the class, you have been out of order. 自从你选为班长后,你一直乱七八糟的。电影中的 I'm out of order? Pfeeeh. You're out of order! This whole courtroom's out of order! 意思是“我乱来?呸,你才乱来!整个法庭都在乱来!”

5. out/in
意思是“不流行的,(板球)出局的/流行的,(板球)击球的”。例如:You are so in! 你很时髦!电影中的 Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! 意思是“就在我以为我已经出局的时候,他们又把我拽回去!(指又让我回去演电影)”

6. crack one's way into
意思是“艰难地进入”。例如:Without any inside help, it is hard to crack your way into big-name foreign ventures. 如果没有内部关系,你是很难进入知名外企的。电影中的After all your years of struggling, you've finally been able to crack your way into show business. 意思是“经过这么多年的打拼,你终于能够进入演艺圈了”。

7. break
意思是“机会”。例如:Tom Cruis had his big break with Top Gun. 汤姆·克鲁斯凭借《壮志凌云》而一炮走红。电影中的 This is a big break for me! 意思是“这是我的一个大好机会!”

文化面面观
1. Al Pacino艾尔·帕西诺 (born April 25, 1940, New York)
One of the greatest actors in all of film history, Al Pacino established himself during one of film's greatest decades, the 70s, and has become an enduring and iconic figure in the world of American movies. Bored and unmotivated in school, the young Al Pacino found a haven in school plays, and his interest soon blossomed into a full-time career. Pacino finally hit it big with "The Indian Wants the Bronx". After his film debut in Me, Natalie (1969), what came next would change his life forever. The part of Michael Corleone in The Godfather (1972) was one of the most sought-after roles in film history. In 1992, he finally won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his amazing performance in Scent of a Woman (1992). With his intense and gritty performances, Pacino was an original in the acting profession. His Method approach would become the process of many actors throughout time, and his unbeatable number of classic roles has already made him a legend among film buffs and all aspiring actors and directors. His commitment to acting as a profession and his constant screen dominance has established him as one of movies' legends.
艾尔·帕西诺是美国乃至世界电影史上的一个传奇人物,至今仍活跃在演艺界。他凭借1972年《教父I》中的迈克一角跨入了明星的行业。1992年,他在《闻香识女人》中成功扮演盲人上校而获得学院最佳演员奖。艾尔·帕西诺的表演艺术以强烈的爆发力著称。

2. The Godfather《教父》
The landmark films The Godfather and The Godfather Part II brought the world an unprecedented chronicle of a Sicilian family's ascension into gangland dominance. Characterized by Time Magazine as having "the dynastic sweep of an Italian-American 'Gone With the Wind'," the two films stand in motion picture history as masterful evocations of mood, character and story.
Mario Puzo's novel The Godfather was a best-seller many times over when filming began in 1971. The Godfather was nominated for ten Academy Awards, winning "Best Picture of 1972," and garnered an Oscar for Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo for their screenplay. The Godfather Part II won twelve Academy Award nominations, and was named "Best Picture of 1974" by the Academy, while Robert De Niro captured the Oscar as "Best Supporting Actor."
本片改编自改编自马里奥·普佐(Mario Puzo)的畅销小说《教父》,可以说是一部在美国电影史上占有极重要地位的影片。它尽现了法兰西斯·福特·柯波拉(Francis Ford Coppola)超卓的导演才华,在第45届奥斯卡金像奖赢得最佳影片、 最佳改编剧本与最佳男主角3项大奖。

面对自己的勇气
像这六位小人物一样,任何人都有自己的缺点和乖僻。Monica一直以为自己是爱整洁的好人,但是在朋友的眼中,她的洁癖让人无法忍受。认识到这点之后,她才能平静地接受朋友的意见,与他们和平相处。同样,遇到Monica这样的人,其它五位并没有抱怨和嫌弃,而是正面指出她的缺点。在这样的小事上,六位老友所表现出来的自信和勇气其实并不平凡。

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 要想进入上流社会,你必须得脸皮厚。
2. 还有两天就期末考试,我现在该怎么办?
3. 大学四年是他一生中的大好机会,可惜他给荒废了。
4. 热带风格已经不流行了。

《老友记》1(精讲之四) 考考你 参考答案
1. 很多时候,成功与否取决于你是否能鼓足勇气去战胜恐惧。
Often success is depended on whether you can get up the courage to fight fear.
2. 被那个烂老板炒鱿鱼对她也许不是什么坏事。
Maybe being fired by that horrible boss agrees with her.
3. 我相信你。你能行。
You have my confidence. You can make it.
4. 那个忘恩负义的家伙让我满腔怒火。
That ingrate burned me up.

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:16 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-17 23:29 | 显示全部楼层

听首歌吧,暂时结束今天的英语学习时间,在歌声中放松自己.

Dear Life-Anthony Hamilton

Oh my love
哦,我的宝贝
Ooooh
哦~~~~~~~~
Early was the morn, flowers filled with dew
清晨,花朵上沾着露水
I became somebody through loving you
因为爱你我便成了另一个人
Softly as a child, born in natural rain
像个柔弱的孩子,在雨中出生
I predict the seasons to go unchanged
我期待季节不会改变
Sometimes in life you run across a love unknown
有时候在生命中你偶然遇到未知的爱
Without a reason it seems like you belong
没有任何原因,只是你看起来属于它

Hold on dear life
把握美好的生命
Don't go off running from what's due
不要试图从将发生的事物旁跑开
因为爱你我变成了另一个人
Warm was the sun
太阳很温暖
That covered my body so
覆盖了我的身体
Reminding me of you as I'd first known
让我想起卧第一次遇见的你
Those were the days
那些日子
The days that changed my life
是改变了我人生的日子
It made me knew
它使我明白
因为爱你,我变成了另一个人
Sometimes in life you run across a love unknown
有时你在生命中偶遇未知的爱情
Without a reason it feels like you belong
没有任何原因,只是你看起来属于它
Hold on dear life
把握美好的生命
不要试图从将发生的事物旁跑开
因为爱你我变成了另一个人
As the sun shines down on me
阳光照在我身上
I know with you in love is where I wanna be
我知道和你一起坠入爱河
Oh sometimes I go on through life thinking
哦,有时在生活中我思考
That love is something that's not meant for me
爱情是我不应该得到的东西
Woah, somebody, somebody
哇哦,某个人,某个人
Hold on dear life
把握美好的生命
不要从即将发生的事情旁跑开
因为爱你,我变成了另一个人
oooh

歌手简介  Anthony Hamilton ,打从10岁稚龄就在教堂唱诗班一展歌唱实力,他一直都是别人眼中明日之星的候选人,1993年啟身前往纽约一圆歌星梦,被当时孕育多名黑人歌手如Mary J Blige、Jodeci等人的超级名厂Uptown Records招揽旗下,1995年原本要帮已经录好专辑的Anthony发行宣传,但是唱片公司营运不佳,专辑也随著公司结束营业而胎死腹中!隔年再签入MCA主流大厂推出「XTC」,虽然得到乐评的高度讚誉,但在商业销售量反应上并无引起狂潮波澜,自己音乐事业在无任何转机下,转作嫁於别人专辑当中,其中Donell Jones、Sunshine Anderson、2Pac、Eve、D´Andelo...等歌手畅销作品,都可发现Anthony的创作与合声。饶舌超级乐团The Roots排行畅销名曲Po´ Folks,担任最重要的演唱桥段,受到葛莱美奖青睞,入围「最佳饶舌合唱曲」奖项。

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:44 编辑 ]
Beatles 发表于 2008-3-17 23:31 | 显示全部楼层
learning
毛毛 发表于 2008-3-18 09:13 | 显示全部楼层
太实用了!!收藏!! 送一朵 给大海
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-18 15:56 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之六)

Joey: ...Ninety-five, ninety-six, ninety-seven. See, I told you! Less than a hundred steps from our place to here.
Chandler: You got waaaay too much free time.
Joey: Hey! Here's the birthday boy! Ross, check it out: hockey tickets, Rangers-Penguins, tonight at the Garden, and we're taking you.
Chandler: Happy birthday, pal!
Joey: We love you, man.
Ross: Funny, my birthday was seven months ago.  
Joey: So?
Ross: So, I'm guessing you had an extra ticket and couldn't decide which one of you got to bring a date?
Chandler: Well, aren't we Mr. "The glass is half empty."
Ross: Oh my God, oh --- is today the twentieth, October twentieth?
Monica: Oh, I was hoping you wouldn't remember.
Ross: Ohhh.
Joey: What's wrong with the twentieth?
Chandler: Eleven days before Halloween... all the good costumes are gone?
Ross: Today's the day Carol and I first... consummated our physical relationship. Sex... You know what, I-I'd better pass on the game. I think I'm just gonna go home and think about my ex-wife and her lesbian lover.
Joey: The hell with hockey, let's all do that!
Chandler: C'mon, Ross! You, me, Joey, ice, guys' night out, c'mon, whaddya say, big guy, Huh? Huh? Huh?
Ross: What are you doing?
Chandler: I have no idea.
Joey: C'mon, Ross!
Ross: Alright, alright, maybe it'll take my mind off it. Do you promise to buy me a big thumb finger?
Chandler: You got it.
Rachel: Look-look-look-look-look, my first paycheck! Look at the window, there's my name! Hi, me!
Phoebe: I remember the day I got my first paycheck. There was a cave in one of the mines, and eight people were killed.
Monica: Wow, you worked in a mine?
Phoebe: I worked in a Dairy Queen, why?
Rachel: God, isn't this exciting? I earned this. I wiped tables for it, I steamed milk for it, and it was totally-not worth it. Who's FICA? Why's he getting all my money? I mean, what- Chandler, look at that.
Chandler: Oh, this is not that bad.
Joey: Oh, you're fine, yeah, for a first job.
Ross: You can totally, totally live on this.
Monica: Yeah, yeah.
Ross: Oh, by the way, great service tonight.
All: Oh! Yeah!
Guys: Hockey! Hockey! Hockey.
Leslie: Rachel?
Rachel: Oh my God!
Monica: I swear I've seen birds do this on Wild Kingdom.
Rachel: What are you guys doing here?
Kiki: Well, we were in the city shopping, and your mom said you work here, aaand it's true!
Joanne: Look at you in the apron. You look like you're in a play.
Rachel: Look at you, you are so big I can't believe it!
Leslie: I know. I know! I'm a duplex.
Rachel: So what's going on with you?
Joanne: Well, guess who my dad's making partner in his firm?
Kiki: And while we're on the subject of news...
Phoebe: Look, look, I have elbows!

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. way too much
意思是“太多”。其中的“way”是副词,表示“远远地,大大地,非常”。例如:Are we teaching our kids way too much about sex? Or not nearly enough? 我们为孩子提供的性教育是太多了?还是远远不够?电影中的 You got waaaay too much free time.意思是“你的闲工夫太多了”。

2. check something out
意思是“查看,检查” ,往往表示让对方看看某种令人兴奋的事物。例如:Be sure to check out our FAQ if you have further questions! 如果你还有疑问,请查看我们的“常见问题”栏目!电影中的 Ross, check it out: hockey tickets, Rangers-Penguins, tonight at the Garden, and we're taking you. 意思是“罗斯,看呐:冰球票,骑兵队对企鹅队,今晚在花园体育场,一块去吧。”

3. pass on
意思是“放过……不要,放弃”,通常用在拒绝对方的提议时。例如:I would pass on the trip. I got tons of things to do at the weekend. 我周末有一大堆的事要做,旅游我就不去了。电影中的You know what, I-I'd better pass on the game. 意思是“这么说吧,球赛我还是免了。”

4. the hell with
意思是“让……见鬼去吧。”例如:The hell with democracy, let's hire a king. 去他的民主,我们雇一个国王吧。电影中的 The hell with hockey, let's all do that! 意思是“让冰球见鬼去吧,我们都那样做(指罗斯回忆与前妻在一起的时光)!”

5. take one's mind off
意思是“转移某人的注意力。”例如:I can't take my mind off of you for the last summer vacation. 整个暑假我满脑子想的都是你。电影中的Alright, alright, maybe it'll take my mind off it. 意思是“好吧,好吧,也许它会使我转移注意力。”

6. live on
意思是“靠……过活。”例如:Don't live on the past. You should look ahead. 你应该朝前看,不要老想着过去。电影中的 You can totally, totally live on this. 意思是“你完全,完全可以靠这个(工资)过活。”

文化面面观
Halloween 万圣节

在西方,万圣节(每年10月31日)被认为是死去的祖先的灵魂回家的日子。这些灵魂会寻找活人附身,所以所有人都打扮成鬼魂的模样而且喧闹地游行,以吓跑鬼魂。常见的习俗有 trick or treat和南瓜灯等。一到万圣节,孩子们就穿着古怪的衣服,挨家挨户去敲门,一边说“trick or treat”。这时主人就会打开门,将一些糖果分发给孩子们。
The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year.
One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.
The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes", made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven.
The Jack-o-lantern custom probably comes from Irish folklore. As the tale is told, a man named Jack, who was notorious as a drunkard and trickster, tricked Satan into climbing a tree. Jack then carved an image of a cross in the tree's trunk, trapping the devil up the tree. Jack made a deal with the devil that, if he would never tempt him again, he would promise to let him down the tree.
According to the folk tale, after Jack died, he was denied entrance to Heaven because of his evil ways, but he was also denied access to Hell because he had tricked the devil. Instead, the devil gave him a single ember to light his way through the frigid darkness. The ember was placed inside a hollowed-out turnip to keep it glowing longer.
The Irish used turnips as their "Jack's lanterns" originally. But when the immigrants came to America, they found that pumpkins were far more plentiful than turnips. So the Jack-O-Lantern in America was a hollowed-out pumpkin, lit with an ember.

思想火花
在美国,平等和相互尊重的思想是主流。只有本选段中那些依靠父母或丈夫生活的贵妇人才会看不起Rachel的服务生工作。其实,工作不分贵贱,自己能够独立自主才是最重要的。

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 你泡网吧的时间太多了。
2. 自从我第一眼见到她就开始朝思暮想。
3. 看电影我就不去了,不如在家呆着呢。
4. 看我新买的手机,够酷吧?

《老友记》1(精讲之五)考考你 参考答案
1. 要想进入上流社会,你必须得脸皮厚。
You have to develop some thick skin if you want to crack your way into the upper class.
2. 还有两天就期末考试,我现在该怎么办?
What am I supposed to do with the final exam coming in two days?
3. 大学四年是他一生中的大好机会,可惜他给荒废了。
He idled away his 4 years in college, which was the big break in his life.
4. 热带风格已经不流行了。
The tropical style is already out.

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-18 16:00 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-18 16:37 | 显示全部楼层

不顾一切:Against All Odds

同样送上一首歌,不顾一切:Against All Odds,结束今天的英语学习时间。

Against All Odds                      by Phil Collins

How can I just let you walk away,
我怎么能让你离开,
Just let you leave without a trace?
不带一点痕迹地离开。
When I stand here taking every breath with you. Woo…
我站在这里和你共享每一次呼吸,
You’re the only one who really knew me at all.
你是唯一了解我的人.。
How can you just walk away from me,
我怎么能让你从我身边离开,
When all I can do is watch you leave?
我能做的只是看着你走。
Cause we shared the laughter and the pain.
因为我们曾分享过欢乐和痛苦,
And even shared the tears.
甚至是泪水,
You're the only one who really knew me at all.
你是唯一了解我的人。

So take a look at me now,
所以现在再看我一眼,
There’s just an empty space.
因为这里只剩下一片空白。
And there's nothing left here to remind me.
现在再也没什么值得我回忆,
Just the memory of your face.
除了你的面容。
Well, take a look at me now,
再看我一眼,
因为这里只剩下一片空白,
And you coming back to me is against all odds.
让你回头已是困难重重,
And that's what I've got to face.
这就是我所面对的事。
I wish I could just make you turn around.
我希望我能让你回头,
Turn around and see me cry.
回头看见我的泪水。
There's so much I need to say to you.
我有那么多想和你说的话,
So many reasons why-
有那么多的原因~~~~~
You're the only one who really knew me at all.
让你是最了解我的那个人。
So take a look at me now,
所以现在再看我一眼,
There's just an empty space.
因为这里只剩下一片空白。
And there's nothing left here to remind me.
现在再也没什么值得我回忆,
Just the memory of your face.
除了你的面容。
Now, take a look at me now,
再看我一眼,
因为这里只剩下一片空白,
But to wait for you is all I can do,
但我还会等你,
And that's what I've got to face.
这是我唯一所能做和所能面对的。
Well, take a look at me now,
再看我一眼,
Cause I'll still be standing here.
因为我依然站在这里,
And you coming back to me is against all odds.
让你回头已是困难重重,
It's the chance I've got to take.
但我会抓住这个机会,
Take a good look at me now…
现在再看我一眼。

歌曲介绍
这首歌是Phil Collins(菲尔-柯林斯)为1984年的电影“Against All Odds”演唱的同名主题曲,电影名《再看你一眼》(该电影有三个广泛流传的译名《危情十日》、《似是故人来》及《再看你一眼》)。柯林斯近乎嘶喊的情感唱腔深刻传达片中男、女主角深陷情义困境的无奈,这首歌让柯林斯首度同时获得奥斯卡,金球与格莱美奖最佳电影主题曲的提名肯定,当然也是排行榜上红极一时,分别在美、英两地拿下冠、亚军。

歌手介绍
1951年出生的Phil Collins堪称欧美流行歌坛的一棵万年青。他在乐器方面出道很早,五岁习鼓,二十五岁以前就成为是世界一流摇滚鼓手.在歌唱和作曲方面却是大器晚成,三十岁才出第一张个人专辑<表面价值>,旋即一炮打响。第一首单曲更被奉为经典,被无数后人翻唱.连美国当今最红的痞子阿姆(Eminem)都在自己的Stan一曲中提到。前几年Mariah Carey和Westlife又以翻唱Phil的名曲Against All Odds在英国和欧洲单曲榜上高居不下。Phil不只是出名的工作狂,而且在自己的音乐方面又是个控制狂.虽然出的个人专辑不多,但几乎每一张都包办词曲,制作,敲打乐和键盘,1993年的Both Sides那张专辑干脆是连所有其他乐器也都一手揽来,音乐全方面的实力可见一斑。
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-19 21:17 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之七)

xin_3011031311009291387713.jpg
影片对白
Rachel: Alright, somebody.
Monica: OK, I'll go. OK, senior year of college... on a pool table.
All: Whoooaa!
Ross: That's my sister.
Joey: OK... my weirdest place would have to be... the women's room on the second floor of the New York City public library.
Monica: Oh my God! What were you doing in a library?
Ross: Pheebs, what about you?
Phoebe: Oh... Milwaukee.
Rachel: Um... Ross?
Ross: Disneyland, 1989, 'It's a Small World After All.'
All: No way!
Ross: As the ride broke down. So, Carol and I went behind a couple of those mechanical Dutch children... then they fixed the ride, and we were asked never to return to the Magic Kingdom.
Phoebe: Oh, Rachel.
Rachel: Oh come on, I already went.
Monica: You did not go! Tell us.
All: Come on.
Rachel: Oh, alright. The weirdest place would have to be... oh, the foot of the bed.
Ross: Step back.
Joey: We have a winner!
Rachel: I just never had a relationship with that kind of passion, you know, where you have to have somebody right there, in the middle of a theme park.
Ross: Well, it was the only thing to do there that didn't have a line.
Rachel: There, well, see? Barry wouldn't even kiss me on a miniature golf course.
Ross: Come on.
Rachel: No, he said we were holding up the people behind us.
Ross: And you didn't marry him because...?
Rachel: I mean, do you think there are people that go through life never having that kind of...
Ross: Probably. But you know, I'll tell you something. Passion is way overrated.
Rachel: Yeah right.
Ross: It is... eventually... kind of... burns out. But hopefully, what you're left with is trust, and security, and... well, in the case of my ex-wife, lesbianism. So, you know, for all of those people who miss out on that passion... thing, there's all that other good stuff.
Rachel: OK.
Ross: But, um... I don't think that's going to be you.
Rachel: You don't.
Ross: Uh-uh. See, I see... big passion in your future.
Rachel: Really?
Ross: Mmmm.
Rachel: You do?
Ross: I do.
Rachel: Oh Ross, you're so great.
Joey: It's never gonna happen.
Ross: What?
Joey: You and Rachel.
Ross: What? ... Why not?
Joey: Because you waited too long to make your move, and now you're in the friend zone.
Ross: No, no, no. I'm not in the zone.
Joey: Ross, you're mayor of the zone.
Ross: Look, I'm taking my time, alright? I'm laying the groundwork. Yeah. I mean, every day I get just a little bit closer to...
Joey: Priesthood! Look Ross, I'm telling you, she has no idea what you're thinking. If you don't ask her out soon you're going to end up stuck in the zone forever.
Ross: I will, I will. I'm just... See, I'm waiting for the right moment. What? What, now?
Joey: Yeeeeaaaahhh! What's messing you up? The wine? The candles? The moonlight? You've just got to go up to her and you get to say, 'Rachel, I think that...'
Ross: Shhhh!
Rachel: What are you shushing?
Ross: We're shushing... because... we're trying to hear something.
Rachel: What!
Ross: Don't you hear that?
Rachel: Ahhhh!
Ross: See?
Rachel: Huh.

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. break down 坏掉、出毛病、失效
The ride broke down.
(迪斯尼园内的)游园车出了故障。
Talks between the United States and the European Union on sharing confidential airline passenger information have broken down.
美国和欧盟之间关于分享民航乘客机密信息的谈判破产了。
break down还有“崩溃”的意思,如:
When you break down, everyone with you is as disappointed, frustrated and angry as you are.
如果你精神崩溃,你周围的每一个人都和你一样失望、沮丧和愤怒。

2. hold up 阻碍、耽误
He said we were holding up the people behind us.
他说我们挡了后面的人的路。
Sorry to hold you up, but my train was late.
对不起,我乘坐的火车晚点,让你等了。

3. burn out 耗尽、筋疲力尽
Eventually, it kind of... burns out.
最后,它(激情)可说是……消耗殆尽。
If you burn out your employees now, they will respond by subtle means that will require you to spend more money to keep them happy or to replace them in the future.
如果你现在就把你的员工榨干了,他们就会使出一些微妙的手段,让你不得不花更多的钱使他们满意或者在将来把他们换掉。

4. miss out on 错过
For all of those people who miss out on that passion... thing, there's all that other good stuff.
那些错过了激情……这种东西的人总会得到其他好东西。
If you put all your time into study, you will have to miss out on dating beautiful girls.
如果你所有的时间只顾学习,你就会失去与漂亮女生约会的机会。

5. end up 结果是……
If you don't ask her out soon you're going to end up stuck in the zone forever.
如果你不快点提出和她约会,你就会永远陷入那个区域(只能和她做朋友)。
Without getting to know various kinds of guys, how do you know whom you will end up with?
如果不认识不同的男生,你怎么能知道到底会和谁在一起呢?

6. mess someone up 打乱、干扰
What's messing you up? The wine? The candles? The moonlight?
是什么把你搞得晕头转向呢?酒?蜡烛?还是月光?
Foley scandal has messed up the whole Republican Party.
弗利丑闻使整个共和党乱成了一锅粥。

文化面面观

Disneyland History
The Dream: Early Disneyland History
Disneyland in Florida, US
When asked how he got the idea for Disneyland, Walt Disney once said he thought there should be a place for parents and children to have fun together, but the real story is more complex.
In the early 1940s, kids started asking to see where Mickey Mouse and Snow White lived. Disney rejected a studio tour because he thought watching people making cartoons was boring. Instead, he thought of building a character display beside the studio. Artist-architect John Hench is quoted in the Disneyland News Media Source Book: "I remember several Sundays seeing Walt across the street in a

Disneyland in Paris
weed-filled lot, standing, visualizing, all by himself."
The Source Book quotes Disney: "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral." Undeterred, he borrowed against his life insurance and sold his second house just to develop his idea to the point where he could show others.
Studio employees worked on the project, paid from Disney's personal funds. Art director Ken Anderson said that Disney didn't remember to pay them every week, but he always made good in the end, handing out crisp, new bills that he failed to count very accurately.
Disneyland History: Building

Disneyland in Tokyo
Disney and brother Roy mortgaged everything they owned to raise $17 million to build Disneyland, but fell short. ABC-TV stepped in, guaranteeing a $6 million loan in exchange for part ownership and Disney's commitment to produce a weekly television show.
When the City of Burbank denied a request to build near the studio, a crucial chapter in Disneyland history began. Disney engaged Stanford Research Institute, who identified Anaheim as the center of Southern California's future growth. Disney bought 160 acres of Anaheim orange groves, and on May 1, 1954, construction began toward an impossible deadline of July, 1955, when money would run out
Opening Day: the Blackest Sunday in Disneyland History

Disneyland in Hong Kong
On Sunday, July 17, 1955, invited guests arrived, and 90 million watched via a live television broadcast. The day is still known in Disney lore as "Black Sunday," and for good reason, as a guest list of 15,000 swelled to almost 30,000 attendees.
Disneyland History: Open to the Public
The next day, 10,000 members of the general public got their first peek. On the first day of its long history, Disneyland charged visitors $1.00 admission ($6.70 in 2005 dollars) to get through the gate and see three free attractions in four themed lands. Individual tickets for the 18 rides cost 10 to 35 cents each.
Walt and his staff addressed the problems, limiting daily attendance to 20,000 to avoid overcrowding. Within seven weeks, the one-millionth guest passed through the gates.
(http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cadisneyland/a/history.htm)

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 如果激情不在了,你还会像以前那样爱我吗?
2. 和他分手后的整整一个月,我都处于崩溃的边缘。
3. 你不真心去爱的话,怎么知道会失去什么呢?
4. 你爱上了自己的老板,不是自找麻烦吗?

[ 本帖最后由 大海 于 2008-3-19 21:19 编辑 ]
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-20 19:27 | 显示全部楼层

《老友记》1(精讲之八)

xin_2611031510332321104615.jpg
影片对白
Chandler: Hey,gorgeous.
Shelley: Hey. Look, I'm sorry about yesterday, I, um-
Chandler: No, nono, don't- don't worry about it. Believe me, apparently other people have made the same mistake.
Shelley: Oh! Okay! Phew!
Chandler: So, uh... what do you think it is about me?
Shelley: I dunno, uh... you just have a-a...
Chandler: ...Quality, right, great.
Shelley: Y'know,it's a shame, because you and Lowell would've made a great couple.
Chandler: Lowell? Financial Services' Lowell, that's who you saw me with?
Shelley: What? He's cute!
Chandler: Well, yeah... 's'no Brian in Payroll.
Shelley: Is Brian...?
Chandler: No! Uh, I d'know! The point is, if you were gonnaset me up with someone, I'd like to think you'd set me up with someone like him.
Shelley: Well, I think Brian's a littleout of your league.
Chandler: Excuse me? You don't think I could get a Brian? Because I could get a Brian. Believe you me. I'm really not.
Ross: This one?
Aunt Lillian: No.
Ross: I have shown you every dress we have. Unless you want your mother to spend eternity in a lemon yellow pant-suit, go with the burgundy.
Aunt Lillian: You know, whatever we pick, she would've told us it's the wrong one.
Mrs. Geller: You're right.We'll go with the burgundy.
Ross: Oh! A fine choice. I'm coming out.
Aunt Lillian: Wait! We need shoes!
Ross: Okay! Um, how about these?
Mrs. Geller: That's really a day shoe.
Ross: And where she's going everyone else'll be dressier?
Aunt Lillian: Could we see something in a slimmer heel?
Ross: Okay, I have nothing in an evening shoe in the burgundy. I can show you something in a silver that may work.
Aunt Lillian: No, it really should be burgundy.
Mrs. Geller: Mm. Unless we go with a different dress?
Ross: No! Nonono, wait. I may have something in the back.
Ross: Oh my God.
Mrs. Geller: Is everything all right, dear?
Ross: Yeah, just... just Nana stuff.
Ross: How we doing, you guys ready?
Monica: Mom already called this morning to remind me not to wear my hair up. Did you know my ears are not my best feature?
Ross: Some days it's all I can think about.
Phoebe: Hi, I'm sorry I'm late, I couldn't find my bearings.
Rachel: Oh, you-you mean your earrings?
Phoebe: What'd I say?
Rachel: Hm-m.
Monica: Are these the shoes?
Rachel: Yes. Paolo sent them from Italy.
Ross: What, we-uh- we don't have shoes here?
Joey: Morning. We ready to go?
Chandler: Well, don't we look nice alldressed up? It's stuff like that, isn't it?
Monica: It was a really beautiful service.
Mrs. Geller: It really was. Oh, c'mere, sweetheart. Y'know, I think it might be time for you to start using night cream.
Joey: What?
Chandler: Nothing, nothing, just your overcoat sounds remarkably like Brent Mussberger.
Joey: Check it out, Giants-Cowboys.
Chandler: You're watching a football game at a funeral?
Joey: No, it's the pre-game. I'm gonna watch it at the reception.
Chandler: You are a frightening, frightening man.
Rachel: Oh no! My new Paolo shoes!
Ross: Oh, I hope they're not ruined.
Phoebe: God, what a great day. What? Weather-wise!
Ross: I know, uh, the air, the-the trees... even though Nana's gone there's, there's something almost, uh- I dunno, almost life-aff-
All: God! Ross!
Ross: I'm fine. I'm fine. Just-just... having my worst fear realised...

妙词佳句,活学或用
1. gorgeous
叫一个女孩子最通用的叫法是什么?就是“嗨,美女!”在英文里就是“Hi, gorgeous.”学会了吗?我们来看一个例子:I am a truly gorgeous woman, but if the chemistry is there, I wouldn't mind dating an older man. 我是个货真价实的美人坯子,但是如果有感觉,我并不介意和年纪大一点的男人约会。(想了解更多赞美女孩子的表达?点击这里《如何赞美女孩子》)

2. It's a shame.
记得在讲《双层公寓》的时候,我们曾经讲到过一个shame on you,意思是“不知羞耻”。这里的It's a shame 则表示“可惜”。电影中这句话 Y'know, it's a shame, because you and Lowell would've made a great couple. 意思就是:你看看,真可惜啊,因为你和洛维尔很登对。
我们再来看一个例子:
It's a shame that the only thing a man can do for eight hours a day is work. --- William Faulkner
一个人一天八小时只能工作,这是件令人遗憾的事。--威廉·福克纳

3. set someone up with
单身又想赶快找到另一半的人一定要把这个片语学起来,set someone up with 的意思就是“把……介绍给……”。片段中的这句话 The point is, if you were gonna set me up with someone, I'd like to think you'd set me up with someone like him. 意思就是:我的意思是,如果你想给我介绍对象的话,我希望你会介绍他。
我们来看个例子:Why is everyone trying to set me up on a date? 为什么每个人都想给我介绍对象呢?

4. out of one's league
Out of one's league的意思是“与……不属同一类型”。电影中这句话的意思就是:Well, I think Brian's a little out of your league. 喔,我认为你有点攀不上布赖恩。
再比如:Dude, she is so out of your league. 哥们,你跟她相比太悬殊了。

5. go with
Go with的本意是“与……意见一致”,这里指“选择”:We'll go with the burgundy.
我们就选紫红色。比如:Go with your gut, especially when shopping, for study finds that purchases based on emotion are more satisfying in the long term. 购物时尤其要听从你的直觉,因为研究表明顺着心情买的东西从长期来看更让人满意。

6. dress up
Dress up 的意思是“精心打扮”。在西方社会,要参加正式的场合都要打扮起来,穿上正式些的服装。比如:With the party organizer urging everyone to dress up to their fullest, people will be letting their hair down and going crazy as only a Halloween crowd can. 派对主办者要求每个人尽量打扮,由此大家将会放下头发,像万圣节的人群一样疯狂。

文化面面观
Traditional Funerals in contemporary North America
Visitation
At the visitation (also called a "viewing" or "wake") the embalmed body of the deceased person (or decedent) is placed on display in the coffin (also called a casket). The viewing often takes place on one or two evenings before the funeral.
In addition, a family may choose to display photographs taken of the deceased person during his/her life (often, formal portraits with other family members and candid pictures to show "happy times"), prized possessions and other items representing his/her hobbies and/or accomplishments.
The viewing is either "open casket", in which the embalmed body of the deceased has been clothed and treated with cosmetics for display; or "closed casket", in which the coffin is closed.
The viewing typically takes place at a funeral home. It may also take place at a church.
Funeral
A memorial service, often officiated by clergy from the decedent's or bereaved's church or religion. A funeral may take place at either a funeral home or church. A funeral is usually held three to five days after the death of the deceased.
Funeral services include prayers; readings from the Bible or other sacred texts; hymns (sung either by the attendees or a hired vocalist); and words of comfort by the clergy. Frequently, a relative or close friend will be asked to give a eulogy, which details happy memories and accomplishments; often commenting on the deceased's flaws, especially at length, is considered impolite. Sometimes the delivering of the eulogy is done by the clergy.
Tradition also allows the attendees of the memorial service to have one last opportunity to view the decedent's body and say good-bye; the immediate family (siblings (and their spouses); followed by the decedent's spouse, parents and children) are always the very last to view their loved one before the coffin is closed. This opportunity can take place immediately before the service begins, or at the very end of the service. During funerals, bagpipes are sometimes played.
During the funeral and at the burial service, the casket may be covered with a large arrangement of flowers, called a casket spray. If the decedent served in a branch of the Armed forces, the casket may be covered with an American flag. It is considered inappropriate to use both.
Burial service
Sometimes, the burial service will immediately follow the funeral, in which case a funeral procession (the hearse, followed by the immediate family and then the other attendees) travels from the site of the memorial service to the burial site. Other times, the burial service takes place at a later time, when the final resting place is ready.
If the decedent served in a branch of the Armed forces, military rites are often accorded at the burial service.
In many religious traditions, pallbearers, usually males who are close, but not immediate relatives (such as cousins, nephews or grandchildren) or friends of the decedent, will carry the casket from the chapel (of a funeral home or church) to the hearse, and from the hearse to the site of the burial service. The pallbearers often sit in a special reserved section during the memorial service.
Luncheon
In many traditions, a meal or other gathering following the burial service, either at the decedent's church or another off-site location.
Etiquette
Etiquette dictates the bereaved and other attendees at a funeral wear semi-formal clothing-such as a suit and tie for men or a dress for women-in a darker color (usually, gray, dark blue or black). Wearing short skirts, low-cut tops, or, at Western funerals, a large amount of white (other than a button-down shirt or blouse, or a military uniform) is often seen as disrespectful. Women who are grieving the death of their husband or a close partner sometimes wear a veil to conceal the face, although the veil is not common now.
It is a distinct rudeness to leave a mobile telephone on audible mode at a funeral service, as its ringing automatically interrupts the service.
Memorial services
Increasingly, traditional funerals are being replaced by memorial services. These are often less formal than a traditional funeral, and include such things as eulogies, music and fellowship. A member of the clergy often participates in these services, usually to open and close the proceedings and offer prayers and a brief message of comfort.

考考你
用今日所学将下面的句子译成英语。
1. 真的很遗憾,但是我要离开了,因为我不能接受你对待我的方式。
2. 我需要你给我介绍一个合适的对象。
3. 他们自贬形象,说:"我配不上她,"而不是说"我知道如何制造吸引力。"
4. 女为悦己者容。

《老友记》1(精讲之七)考考你 参考答案
1. 如果激情不在了,你还会像以前那样爱我吗?
Will you love me as usual if passion burns out?
2. 和他分手后的整整一个月,我都处于崩溃的边缘。
For the whole month after he left me, I was on the edge of breaking down.
3. 你不真心去爱的话,怎么知道会失去什么呢?
Without seriously engage yourself in love, how do you know what to miss out on?
4. 你爱上了自己的老板,不是自找麻烦吗?
Aren't you messing yourself up by falling in love with your boss?
 楼主| 大海 发表于 2008-3-20 19:35 | 显示全部楼层

送上一首歌:《Before He Cheats》

Before He Cheats                        by Carrie Underwood

Right now
He's probably slow dancing
With a bleached-blond tramp
And she's probably getting frisky...
Right now
He's probably buying her some
Fruity little drink
Cause she can't shoot whiskey...
Right now
He's probably up behind her

With a pool-stick
Showing her how to shoot a combo...
And he don't know...
I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped-up 4 wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seat...
I took a Louisville slugger
To both headlights
Slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
And maybe next time
He'll think before he cheats
Right now
She's probably up singing some
White-trash version of Shania karoke...
Right now
She's probably saying "I'm drunk"
And he's a thinking that he's gonna get lucky
Right now
He's probably dabbing 3 dollars
Worth of that bathroom polo...
Oh, and he don't know...
Oh, that I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped-up 4 wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seat...
I took a Louisville slugger
To both headlights
Slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
And maybe next time
He'll think before he cheats
I might saved a little trouble for the next girl
Cause the next time that he cheats...
Oh, you know it won't be on me
Ohh... not on me...
Cause I dug my key into the side
Maybe next time Ohh..
Maybe next time
He'll think before he cheats... Ohh...
before he cheats... Ohh...
歌手简介及背景
0013729e42d2091a536e22.jpg
Carrie Underwood(凯莉·安德伍德)于1983年出生在美国俄克拉何马州的Checotah小镇。凯莉自幼喜爱音乐,三岁就开始在家乡附近的教堂唱诗班中练习唱歌。13岁那年,凯莉便录制了自己的首张唱片。

凯莉凭借出色的唱功和优雅的台风成为“美国偶像”创办之后第四任冠军。

在2005年5月获得第四届“美国偶像”冠军之后,凯莉成功同Arista公司签约,并发行首支单曲《Inside Your Heaven》。这支单曲以17万张的销量成为全美最畅销单曲,凯莉也成为首位在Billboard Hot 100单曲榜中夺冠的乡村艺人。2005年11月15日,凯莉发行首张个人首张专辑《Some Hearts》。凯莉的这首《Before He Cheats》获得2008年格莱美奖年度最佳歌曲、最佳乡村女歌手,以及最佳乡村歌曲等三项提名。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 新用户注册

本版积分规则

象山同乡网 ( 京ICP备10005750号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-1 00:39